Wangiri and International Revenue Share Fraud (IRSF) are increasingly significant threats to voice service providers. A common threat vector relies on the use of unallocated number ranges (numbers that are not officially allocated by telecommunication authorities). Capabilities to detect and prevent this type of fraud vary between operators and so require query and download methods to consume number range intelligence.
To provide the most accurate Number Range service we undertake a multi-stage process designed to overcome the lack of international standardisation, deal with the volume of information updates and manage the ongoing verification of data.
Reduce Origin Based Rating (OBR) risk
- Confirm CLIs are valid and mitigate against unplanned OBR penalty surcharges.
- Identify and block calls with invalid CLIs in real real-time.
- Analyse A- and B-numbers to correctly assign OBR surcharge rules for voice rating and routing.
- Real-time call rejection of invalid numbers, such as unallocated or non-dialable ranges, or incorrect digit length.
- Block or accept traffic based on potentially fraudulent CPN/CLI modification.
- Prior to routing, identify high risk B-numbers that may be associated with IRSF, arbitrage or other commercial threats.
- Build advanced risk scores based on origin, destination and call agent privileges.
Use CasesSet up a free evaluation
Want to Access specification
Alternatively, get in touch.
We aim to respond to all enquiries within 72 hours.
Global Number Range FAQ's
XConnect’s GNR service will provide information about service provider allocated to a number range along with attributes associated with the number category, such as Fixed, Mobile, Premium rate. The service will also identify which number ranges are unallocated.
An operator would not expect to see any minutes or texts being routed from or to an unallocated or otherwise unused number range. When such traffic is present, it is often illegitimate international traffic and most likely IRSF.
XConnect number information experts have developed proprietary techniques to source data from multiple sources and cross check them. XConnect’s voice and number portability operations team then use information associated with failed and successful connections to verify, test and investigate number range data issues.
Fraud Management Systems, Revenue Assurance and Network switches require number range information. Each system can have different integration requirements to support different application requirements including the ability to support real-time, near-real-time or offline processing. XConnect’s Number Range service (GNR) supports a data download and enum query interface (both formats can be adapted to suit customer requirements).
Our Latest Thoughts And News on All Things Communication
15 May 2023
XConnect Launches Point of Presence in Brazil to Support Voice and Messaging Providers in LATAM
03 May 2023
XConnect Onboards Number Portability Query Data for Liechtenstein & North Macedonia to its Global Number Intelligence Database
27 April 2023
Understanding the new FCC Legislation aimed at stopping scam and spam robotexting – DNOT (Do Not Originate Text)